Our Three-Fold Mission
The Kentucky Genealogical Society has a three-fold mission:
- Bring together genealogists and family historians to promote fellowship and networking
- Foster excellence in genealogy through educational programs and projects that preserve, produce, and disseminate knowledge of historical value for Kentuckians
- Encourage the preservation and availability of Kentucky records that are essential to genealogical and historical research.
We are a Volunteer Organization
This genealogical society accomplishes everything through the kindness of our members and volunteers.
We are a 501(c) non-profit organization run by, for, and, of Kentucky family researchers.
- We do not own a building
- We do not have employees
- We receive no government funding
While we have a post office box in Lexington Kentucky, we are a virtual genealogical society.
Membership & Volunteers
We have members located through the globe.
Members have a common interest in learning more about their Kentucky ancestors, studying Kentucky family history, and sharing knowledge with other family historians. With 1,000+ members, we offer many opportunities to connect with researchers who have a genealogical interest.
You are invited to join the organization here.
The volunteer Board of Directors has nine members who serve a two-year term. Along with the leadership team, there are standing committees to oversee major projects. The society creates other committees as needed.
We Offer Genealogy and Kentucky History Education
As part of our mission, we seek ways to connect and educate our members about Kentucky and it's rich past.
- Each August, we organize a series of courses that feature nationally recognized genealogy experts who share valuable insights for our family history researchers.
- Throughout the year, we offer genealogy webinars, workshops, or in-person events about genealogical techniques or family history studies.
These events are open to members and non-members alike. See our Calendar of Events for registration information.
We Support Digitization of Historical Kentucky Records
As a genealogical society, we have a rich history of getting family records digitized and available.
We offer the Kentucky Genealogical Society Digitization Grant program to increase the number of rare Kentucky genealogical records accessible online for our member researchers.